Sunday, February 17, 2008

Goodness and Mercy Have Followed Me

"Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Psalm 23:6



My Aunt Emily died last month. At her funeral was read an epitaph that she wrote:



"I hope to be remembered as being family-oriented, friendly, compassionate and kind.

I hope to be remembered as being very grateful for enjoying many years on this beautiful earth. 'Surely goodness and mercy have followed me all the days of my life'."



Emily lived 97 years. She married and raised children. She traveled with her husband and lived in overseas locations. She experienced many joys and faced many personal tragedies. She suffered through illness and dealt with devastating losses. She also worked and lived alone for a number of years.



Through all of life's mountains and valleys, many of which should have destroyed her, Emily was grateful to have enjoyed what God provided. She understood that "if God is with us , who can be against us." She knew that He would never "leave or foresake" her no matter how devastating her loss. She had faith in her Redeemer and knew that He loved her.



At her funeral with children, grandchildren, neices, nephews and friends gathered to remember her, not a dry eye could be seen as we remembered her strength, character, and long life. I am sure each one of us had our own memories of her, some good and, I'm certain, some not. However, to a person, what I remember most said was that she had a quiet strength that held her up even when life was coming at her very hard. Now I understand why.



Father you held up Emily on "eagles wings" so she could soar above the storm. You carried her so that she would not strike her foot against a stone. But most importantly Lord, her faithfulness in you, allowed us to see what a good God you are and I praise you for it. Your goodness and mercy did follow her, all the days of her life and now I can rest easy knowing that she is now dwelling in Your house forever. Thank you Father for taking care of her and say hello for me. Amen!

No comments: