Friday, July 25, 2008

Waiting on God

"(Abraham), who against all hope, believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken..." Rom 4:18

"Are we there yet?" How often we parents here that on a long car trip. I wonder how often God hears it from us in our prayers!

"When will he ask me to marry him, Father?" "How long are you going to make me wait for this promotion God?" "Lord, when will you bring my husband back to me?" I'm sure God hears our requests and millions of others, all day every day!

So why does God make us wait? Doesn't he want his children to have good gifts?

Of course he wants the best for us. That is why he has us wait. Most often, I have found in my relationship with the Father that he has me wait because either I am not prepared for the blessing he is about to send me or what I think I want is not the best thing for me.

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last, " said the Lord in Revelation 22:13. He was the first to exist and he will be the last. God knows the lives of every human being who was ever born or will be born and he knows how their lives (believers and non-believers) fit together. Our Father orchestrates everything that happens through the circumstances of our daily lives. He opens and closes doors to the obedient and the disobedient. He gives us free will to follow his will and to go our own way.

It has been said often, "God's timing is not our timing." I believe that. If we are to be faithful believers walking in friendship and fellowship with our Father, we must learn to ask God and then trust that he hears us and will give us the proper answer (not necessarily yes) at the proper time (not necessarily now). Jesus taught us that our Father only wants to give his children "good gifts." He wants us to have bread not "a stone," fish not "a snake." But, we must learn to be patient and wait on God.

My prayer: Father, we are impatient children. We live in a "right now" world. We crave constant stimulation and immediate satisfaction. Teach us Daddy to wait for you. Teach us to trust you and that you only want the best for us and your Kingdom. Lord, I am sorry that I have not trusted that you provide the goodness in my life. Open doors that I should walk through and close those which would be harmful. Give me the wisdom to recognize the difference between them and choose wisely. Use me for your purpose Father. I want to serve you and not myself because I love you. In Jesus mighty name I pray, Amen!

No comments: