Saturday, August 9, 2008

God is Love

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs." 1 Cor 13:5-6

I had a great conversation with God this morning in my quiet time. I was taking my thrice daily medicine, reading the love chapter, and he showed me something awesome. 1 John 4:8 teaches that "God is love," and because that is true, God said, then from today's verse now you can more fully understand who I am.

God is patient, God is kind. God does not envy, God does not boast, God is not proud. God is not rude, God is not self-seeking, God is not easily angered, God keeps no record of wrongs.

This truly astounded me. Am I that slow? After all these years as a Christian, I did not have even a vague idea of the character of God! For the first time in my life, I have a grasp on who God is. I know that my mind can never comprehend an infinite being but to write down these nine characteristics made God so real (tangible) to my human understanding.

Why should I be surprised? Wouldn't a God of such character want his children to understand him? He wrote the Bible using human hands so that the infinite could be explained to us in terms we may understand. We just need to read it!

My prayer: Father, thank you for giving us your Word so that we may have a glimpse into your infinite majesty. In the name of Jesus, whom you sent to show us physically who you are and to whom we owe our salvation, I pray for a continuous renewal of our minds so that we are transformed into your likeness. I pray for a boldness in our walk and a confidence in our spirit, so that we may take the gospel to a hurting world because you love all mankind!

1 comment:

Craig said...

Do we have a great example to use for our life in Father God or What? John, thank you for shsring your love with the Word of God.


Craig