Thursday, October 23, 2008

Because our Time is Short

"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." (Psalm 90:12)

Moses is credited with writing Psalm 90. Empowered by the Holy Spirit he cries out to the Lord for mercy and rescue from God's wrath. He pleads for his limited time on earth to be pleasing to God and productive for the Kingdom.

These days seem anxious. The state of the world, especially here in America, reflects a sense of uncertainty, frustration and fear among the people unlike I have ever experienced in my fifty years. Psalm 90's tone sounds as if it could have been written yesterday as the prayer cries out to God. "We are consumed by your indignation," Moses pleads. "You have set our iniquities before you, our secret sins in the light of your presence." (Psalm 90:7-8)

When we are called before the Lord in judgement, everything we have ever done will be laid bare before Him. Yes, even though we are saved our Father will show us what he saw in us even the "secret sins" we comitted when we thought no one was watching. He is coming, and he may be here sooner than we think.

While I have faith in the salvation that I received from Christ, I, like Moses, am uncomfortable as I reflect on my future meeting with my Father. I can only pray that he "establish the work of (my) hands (now)" and help me "gain a heart of wisdom." (Psalm 90:17, 12)

My prayer. Father again I confess the secret sins still present in my life. Despite the relationship you have offered to me, I continue to put myself and the desires of my sinful nature ahead of your will. Teach me Father to "number my days aright" before my time in your earthly service has passed me by. Thank you Lord for your mercy and grace and for establishing the work of my hands that I might store up my treasures in heaven. In Jesus name I pray, Amen!

No comments: