Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Faith

These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us to that only together with us would they be made perfect." (Heb 11:39-40)

Faith is believing in something unseen and receiving it just as if it were physically present. "By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the people had marched around them for seven days." (Heb 11:29) By faith:
  • Daniel spent the night in the lion's den and was unharmed;
  • David picked up five smooth stones and his sling, and slew Goliath; and
  • Abraham, after waiting, although not patiently, until he was very old, was given many children.

After writing this in draft, the Lord spoke to me and called me to add here the fact that all of these biblical heroes exercised their faith, first by taking the action that God had spoken to them, and then by receiving the promise God had given them. They didn't read about or hear about God's power and not take action, they first were obedient and then they believed and received his blessing. How often we forget about the action step!

God's promises for our lives are fulfilled if we are obedient to what he asks us to do and then we are confident that God is faithful in his promises even when we may not see physically the results. Let us not lose heart when the world around us seems to be winning and stealing our joy because God has something waiting for us. He has plans to prosper and not to harm us. Whatever we face now we must believe that what we have asked God to remove or replace according to his will, it has already been set aside for us by Him because he is faithful in what he promises.

My prayer. Father, you know my heart. You know what I struggle with. Your word says that you have plans for us that do not include harm but promise prosperity and hope. Help me Lord not to be blinded by present circumstances but to be encouraged by my faith in You, believing for things promised but yet unseen. I trust you Lord even though I am weak in my faith. I ask earnestly for your forgiveness for my doubt and receive now the promises already delivered in my unseen future. In Jesus name I pray, Amen!

No comments: