Thursday, October 16, 2008

Submit to God's Will

"During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission." Heb 5:7

Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane on the night he was betrayed and handed over to Roman soldiers to be tortured and killed:

" 'Abba,' Father everything is possible with you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will." (Mark 14:36)

In my walk with the father, I often pray and petition; selfishly I ask for "better" things (jobs, houses, relief from illness or pain) but seldom do I hear myself say, "Yet not I will but what you will," Father.

God, through the author of Hebrews, reminds us to follow Jesus' example of submission (reverent submission) to the will of God when we pray. We of small minds and limited vision are blinded by our own comfort and selfishness and cannot see what God's perfect will is in our daily life experiences. God's will may not be always for what we desire, as confirmed by his answer to Jesus' plea in the garden. If God did not spare his own Son's suffering and death when he asked, how can we be sure that he might not have us suffer for the greater purpose of His plans.

It is God's will and our submission to it, no matter what the hardship, that we must keep in mind when we pray. God did not promise an easy life and a comfortable retirement here on earth. But he does offer a "Sabbath rest" for his people (Heb 4:9) if we have faith in Jesus and submit to His will while we are here.

My prayer. Help me Father to always remember that it is your will that is the main thing. Forgive my selfishness when I pray and teach me to always submit reverently to your will. In Jesus name and by his example, I submit! Amen

No comments: