Monday, December 22, 2008

Christ in Us the Hope of Glory

“His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, according to his eternal purpose which he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Eph 3:10-11

I love a good mystery. I remember reading Agathe Christie and watching the adventures of Hercule Poirot on public television when I was younger. I always tried to solve the mystery before the end of the book or movie.

As I read Paul’s letter to the Ephesians I was surprised to discover that Paul had the honor of revealing a mystery that had been kept secret by God throughout the thousands of years documented in the Old Testament and even through the life of Jesus Christ. “This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.” Eph 3:6. Paul says to the Colossians, “God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.”

Wow! Is Paul really saying that God is putting the “hope of glory” in us? God trusts you and me to be His hope for planet earth? I find this concept of redemption amazing. God is so confident that he would use the power of His only son’s death on the cross and our belief in the shed blood of Christ, to empower us to change the world for God’s kingdom. Amazing!

We truly cannot understand His ways, the God of the universe comes to the earth as a little baby. The child grows into a young man who wanders the countryside and employs twelve ordinary unschooled men to learn from him and take over his ministry. Then he allows himself to be crucified by a jealous religious and political establishment. He rises from the dead but almost secretly reveals himself to only a few and then ascends into the heavens. He turns the story of redemption over to the Gentile world and uses a Jewish man who is brilliantly schooled in the Old Testament (Paul) to begin growing a body of believers that would be empowered by a Holy Spirit, to tell the world about the good news of Jesus Christ.

What a twist! Gentiles doing what the Jews would not do. Yet the Father still plans to return for the Jews sending his Son yet again back to earth, "when the fullness has of the Gentiles has come in." Romans 11:12 When, is still a mystery yet God is waiting on us through the power of Christ in us to help Him fulfill that prophecy. It is so exciting serving a God who has that much trust in his people!

My prayer. Father, thank you for your trust in me to help carry out your plan of redemption on planet earth. Increase Christ in me as I decrease myself in me. Use me today and everyday for your will to be accomplished in my sphere of influence. I pray that the saints around the world be surrounded by your angels and strengthened in their time of persecution. May your glory always be in front of us as we serve you until the "fullness of the Gentiles" has come in! In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments: