Sunday, December 14, 2008

Too Wonderful to Comprehend

But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. Luke 2:19, 51

Luke Chapter 2 the story of the birth of Christ is so rich, I never get tired of reading it. The story is full of drama and joy, love and hope, it is worth reading over and over anytime during the year especially if you want to renew your faith and invigorate your walk with the Lord.

Mary, besides the baby Jesus, takes center stage in this drama which is the culmination of the promises of God and the redemption of the world which was so wonderfully foreshadowed in the Old Testament. I love this verse which was used twice in Chapter 2 to explain how overwhelming the events had become for Mary that she could only take them in and ponder them in her heart.

After all, she ( a virgin) had been favored by the Creator of the universe to carry his one and only begotten son through conception by the Holy Spirit. The, to make the entire story even more difficult to comprehend, she is told that this baby she would give birth to was the promised Messiah that would be King of the Jews and would be the vessel whereby God would redeem the world from the fall of Adam and Eve. As the chapter unfolds Mary is experiencing one unfathomable event after another and I am certain she is virtually in shock regarding the enormity of the situation.

When I read this verse first at the beginning of the Chapter and then again at the end, I can picture Mary just in a daze, overwhelmed and overjoyed that she would be honored in such a way by God, yet confused and bewildered that she had been chosen for the most important assignment in eternity! She was speechless and could only "ponder (everything) in her heart."

God is so amazing how he takes the most unexpected paths to achieve the greatest miracles! Praise Him!

My prayer. Father, I pray that someday I may be considered a useful vessel for you to bless someone in my sphere of influence. Lord, continue to mold me in your hands as the potter does with the clay. Make me an instrument of your plan of salvation in a world that is desperate to receive your Christmas gift. Use me Lord according to the ability you have given me, In Jesus name I pray, Amen!

No comments: