Thursday, December 11, 2008

Out of Egypt I Called my Son!

When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. "Get up," he said, "take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him." So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: "Out of Egypt I called my son." Matthew 2:13-15

After the birth of Jesus and his subsequent return to Nazareth, Magi from the east (most-likely Babylon) approached King Herod in Jerusalem to seek where they could find the Christ. They came bearing gifts and to worship the one that had been prophesied in the scriptures and for whom they referred, king of the Jews. They were directed to Bethlehem by Herod’s advisers and teachers of the law and off they went. Secretly Herod plotted to kill the child as he was deeply concerned about losing his throne.

Again, Divine providence was upon Joseph and Mary and the young boy Jesus when an angel told them to flee to the desert until the danger had passed. Shortly afterwards around, 4 AD, Herod died and the threat to the life of Jesus was over, allowing the family to return to Nazareth.

As we read these writings about the life of Jesus at Christmas time, we are reminded of the obedience of Mary and Joseph and how much the hand of God was on this family and His only begotten Son. As I meditate on these scriptures, my heart fills with joy at how much God did to fulfill his promise of redemption.

When Adam and Eve disobeyed God in the garden, I believe he was very disappointed but not unforgiving. Josephus writes on the heels of the eating of the forbidden fruit,

“God said, ‘I had before determined about you both, how you might lead a happy life, without any affliction, and care, and vexation of soul; and that all things which might contribute to your enjoyment and pleasure should grow up by my providence, of their own accord, without your own labor and pains-taking; which state of labor and pains-taking would soon bring on old age, and death would not be at any remote distance: but now thou hast abused this my good-will, and hast disobeyed my commands.’”

God therefore, had to punish us. But he soon began his plan of redemption because he loved us so much.

Several thousand years later, God will order Joseph and his family to the desert for safety. The key ingredient, without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, is that both Joseph and Mary were obedient, doing exactly what they were told when they were asked. This precise and unquestioning trust in the Lord’s requirements are a lesson to all of us that no matter the request from God, if we are to see his plans fulfilled in our lives, we must obey completely and immediately!

My prayer. Father, thank you for your word and the precision of your blessings to those who follow it without question. Lord, continue to teach me how to give you my complete trust, both in the good things and in the uncomfortable situations. I want to have the obedience of a Joseph. Help me start this Christmas so that I may be a better servant to you. In Jesus name I pray, Amen!

No comments: