Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Forgiveness Of God

'If they confess their iniquity and the iniquity of their forefathers, in their unfaithfulness which they committed against Me, and also in their acting with hostility against Me...... then I will remember My covenant with Jacob, and I will remember also My covenant with Isaac, and My covenant with Abraham as well, and I will remember the land." Lev 26:40-42

The Book of Leviticus is much maligned and often quoted out of context by secular society. It seems to be used by many to show how unreasonable and mean-spirited God is. No one likes rules especially when they interfere with our own selfish desires. From sexual prohibitions to the observance of the Sabbath, Leviticus lays out what God expects from his people. Yet, even some "born-again" believers look at this book as just Old Testament "stuff" that no longer applies because Jesus died for all sin.

As I have been reading through Leviticus and letting the Lord speak to me through it I have come to discover, how much love is really in this wonderful book. As God lead his people out of Egypt and into the land of Canaan, God was preparing his them for the sin that they would find there and like any good father would do for his children, God warned his loved ones, of the trouble awaiting them. As I read this text I see a father pleading with his children to listen to his wisdom so that they don't get hurt.

However, like a good parent, God knew his children would not listen. They could not stop themselves from engaging in improper sexual activity or would not be able to rest from their work on the sabbath. Just like a little boy who had been told over and over that the stove was hot and he still reached up and had to find out for himself. Ouch! God knew they would stray and had to outline for them their punishment.

"Do not defile yourselves by any of these things; for by all these the nations which I am casting out before you have become defiled." (Lev 19:24) God had seen this behavior from the Canaanites who inhabited the land they were about to enter and did not want his children to fall prey to the things that caused them to be cast out of their land.

God lovingly warns of and sternly promises punishment for sins so that they may live freely. Yet, he also knows that they will fall and he will have to punish them. But at the end of the punishment, God promises forgiveness if his people genuinely repent.

Modern America needs this kind of forgiveness now. Like the Canaanites, I am afraid God is going to cast us from our land because of our disobedience. I pray that we believers wake up before we find ourselves under God's punishment. It's time we repent!

My prayer. Father you are a God of many chances because you love your people. We have taken advantage of your kindness and have deservedly brought your wrath upon our country. Forgive us again please Father and let your mercy reign one more time. I am sorry Lord for the times I ignored your warnings and took advantage of your kindness. I love you Father, and I pray in earnest for my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, who are still in sin and disobedience. Thank you for your mercy and your favor, it is truly more than we deserve. I pray in Jesus name, Amen!

No comments: