Monday, January 7, 2008

Everything Belongs to God

"The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters." Psalm 24:1

I got news yesterday that my Aunt Emily died, she would have been 98 years old today. I didn't spend much time with her when I was growing up even though she lived about five hours away by car. Our family wasn't that close and we didn't take very many vacations to visit relatives. My wife and I are going to make the trip to honor her memory and try to connect with family members that only seem to gather at such occasions.

Why aren't we more close to one another? Why does it take a funeral to bring us to the same place? Wouldn't it be better to tell the disceased that you loved them while they were still breathing? I am thankful our Lord doesn't feel that way about us.

He created us to relate to one another to love each other and enjoy one another's company but only for a time. Life is short and our time in this present world is only a blink of God's eye. He takes us all home sooner or later yet we seem to think some how we are immuned to death. "We will have time to visit Uncle John next summer, I can't miss this opportunity to go with the guys." "Grandma is as healthy as a horse, besides we just went to see your father last year isn't time for us to make our own travel plans this time?" The excuses pile up and time slips away. Pretty soon its too late and your loved one is gone.

I wonder how God feels when we pass him by to watch television or surf the internet? Does he shed a tear? Does he miss us? I believe he does. Just like Aunt Emily, who longed to hug her children one more time and to hear her brother's voice and remember when they were young, God waits for us to want to be with Him.

The Lord will be seeing more of her now. I wonder if she would have wanted to see the nephew who didn't come around much one more time before she left us. Now I know how God feels.

No comments: