Wednesday, January 23, 2008

An Undivided Heart

"...Give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." Psalm 86:11


When we are born again God gives us a new heart (Eze 36:26). David in his deepest hour of trouble called out for God to give him an undivided heart. The King James says "unite my heart."

Our hearts not our minds nor our eyes are the means by which our Spirits experience God. The expression I have "had a change of heart " about something comes from this concept of God giving us a new heart. When we are born again God does not change our minds, he must change our hearts before we will follow him.

God knows our hearts are damaged and unable to accept fully God's love. Our hearts are divided between our love for the world and our love for God. David is calling out to God to change his heart from one that is splitting its time between the desires of the flesh and a desire for God.

What is in your life that divides your heart? Is it money; a job perhaps? Do you love things more than God? You want to serve God with unbridled passion but you yearn for the flesh above your desire for God. Your heart is divided. God cannot come in unless you invite him to a new heart that is ready to receive him. Only God can give you an undivided heart. Ask him right now to unite your hear so that you may fear (respect) his name.

In the name of Jesus, I ask you Father to give me an undivided heart, a new heart, a heart for you. Take your place on the throne in my united heart Father and protect it with the breastplate of righteousness. Turn to me Father and have mercy on me. Heal me from my brokenness. Teach me your way, O Lord and I will walk in your truth. Amen!

No comments: