Monday, January 14, 2008

Perfect Peace

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts you." Isa 26:3

Where do you put your trust? Is it your job, your money, your family, the latest new toy? Are you content? Are you at peace with these earthly things?

I wrestle with this issue. I often ask myself whether I trust my earthly idols more than God? I think the answer is yes. It is not surprising really. After all the things I trust are tangible; they are close at hand. I can buy things with my money, I can drive my car. After all I can't really see God. I know He's there but.... So many excuses.

I have this scripture written on a pink post-it note and have it mounted on the dashboard of my car. I see it every time I drive somewhere. I need it to remind me in whom I should put my trust. Seems funny...a post it note.

I guess I am not that different from most everyone. All of us worship our idols. Probably explains why we are restless, not contented with our situation, and cannot be still. We become easily distracted and worrisome about our lives, our minds are not steadfastly focused on God. We spend millions of dollars each year on psychiatrists, self-help books and prescription drugs. We consume alcohol and illegal drugs to relieve the stress and dull the pain. We trust Jack Daniels and neglect the Creator of the Universe. We find ourselves restless, fatigued and frustrated because we place our trust in the idols of this world.

I pray the body of Christ will heed what Isaiah tells us and begin to trust in our Father in heaven rather than ourselves. I ask that the Lord forgive us for our disobedience and begin to heal us from this sin of idol worship. Cleanse us Father in the blood of your son Jesus Christ and wash away our iniquities as we repent and begin to steadfastly trust that all we need is you. "Lord, you establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have done for us." Thank you Father that you give us perfect peace when we truly put our complete trust in you. In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments: