Friday, January 18, 2008

A Kingdom of Priests

"To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father-to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen." Rev 1:5-6

I spent years in an organized religious environment and I don't remember a sermon being delivered on this scripture. These are dangerous words to be spoken inside a religious institution. Is God really telling us that he has made us to be priests through the blood of his son Jesus? These are words of revolution. How can this be?

When the Holy Spirit began to speak to me four years ago, I heard him call me to ministry. Loud and clear I remember hearing that I needed to be a minister of God's word. To my untrained mind, that meant I had to pursue a three year course of study at a seminary before being ordained a pastor. I began talking with the ministers at my church about my calling. They gave me books to read and a folder full of paperwork to fill out, They told me to pray and seek counsel. I even began checking out seminaries within my denomination. However, no one referred me to this passage of scripture. Had the ministers asked me to consult God's word on the subject, I would have been spared many hours of time and effort.

God chose however, to orchestrate these events and, in doing so, I have come to realize why he chose this path. By thinking my only path to ministry was seminary, I can now see the power that man-made religious practices have in preventing us from enjoying the freedom that comes from the pure word of God. The fact that a layman had to jump through certain hoops to become "officially authorized." to minister the word of God to people served to erect a wall between God and us through which only the ordained priest could permit passage. I have since discovered that God's word gives us complete freedom. This passage in fact, empowers every believer to be a minister of gospel of Jesus Christ. No special school is required only a heart for God and our testimony of how he rescued us from our sinful nature and we are priests!

Father, thank you that you have given us permission and authority to be your priests while we are here in this world. Grant us the power and the incite to recognize the need for your grace in the lives of the unsaved around us. Inspire our hearts through the Holy Spirit to read and understand the simple but life-changing power of your word. Show us Lord how to minister that word to our family, friends and neighbors who do not know you. Protect us Lord with the full armor of God and send us out into the world to do your will. In Jesus name I pray! Amen.

No comments: